- Has the application been submitted by bona fide researchers?
- Does the application violate (or potentially violate) any of the ethical permissions granted to the study or any of the consent forms signed by the participants or their guardians?
- Does the application run the risk of producing information that may allow individual cohort members to be identified?
- Does the application run a significant risk of upsetting or alienating cohort members or of reducing their willingness to continue as active participants?
- For 1958BC: Does the application address topics that fall within the acknowledged remit of the project, as understood by participants?
- For 1958BC: Does the application request access to a depletable finite resource (whole blood extracted DNA, blood, saliva and urine)?
Applications for finite bio-samples are seen as being in competition with other potential research projects, and the quality of the science is reviewed formally (if necessary using independent external reviewers). The 1958BC biosample strategy guidelines contain more detail.