METADAC considers complex issues for biomedical data access for four longitudinal (cohort) studies. When you need just GWAS genetic data or phenotype data (not both together), your application will not normally need to be considered by the METADAC, and you can follow the links below to the studies’ information on data access.
Epigenetic data (without phenotype data) is available in Understanding Society without applying to METADAC; but epigenetic data from 1958 Birth Cohort currently does require a METADAC application.
- The English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA)
- Understanding Society – The UK Household Longitudinal Study (including BHPS)
- 1958 Birth Cohort (National Child Development Study)
- 1970 British Cohort Study
- Millennium Cohort Study
Application types processed by METADAC
Please apply to the METADAC when:-
- You require genetic data linked with other information
- You are applying for use of biological samples
- You are applying for exome sequencing data (fastq or vcf file-types, even when not linked with other information).
- You are applying for epigenetic data from the 1958 Birth Cohort (even when not linked with other information).
For all these types of application, please use the METADAC application forms and guidance. If possible please return the forms well before the next Committee deadline.
Governance routes for different types of application
|– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – CLS Studies – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –|
|Non-genetic: Social/Survey/ Medical data only||UK Data Service series 200011||UK Data Service series 2000053||UK Data Service series 2000032||UK Data Service series 200001||UK Data Service series 2000031|
|Genetic Data only; approval notified to EGA for issue.||Contact ELSA for ELSA genetic data.||See UKHLS web-page.||Most datasets: WTCCC||n/a||n/a|
|Exome Sequence datasets: METADAC|
|Linked genetic and other (phenotype) data||METADAC||METADAC||METADAC||n/a||n/a|
|Bio-medical Samples (with or without other data)||(Not available)||METADAC
(Not yet available, see UKHLS pages)
(Not yet available.)
|Supporting information for METADAC applications||Contact email@example.com||UKHLS documentation||1958 documentation||1970 documentation||Millennium documentation|
Dr Stephanie Roberts, Head of METADAC Secretariat